Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Awards Season: Globes Reward Artistic Intent
The Hollywood Foreign Press Association announced their nominations and the Awards Season picture started to look a whole lot clearer. The Artist led the way with six nominations, while The Descendents and The Help were right behind with five apiece.
The categories and nominations are...
BEST FEATURE - DRAMA
BEST FEATURE - COMEDY OR MUSICAL
ACTRESS - DRAMA
ACTOR - DRAMA
ACTOR - COMEDY OR MUSICAL
ACTRESS - COMEDY OR MUSICAL
ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
BEST ORIGINAL SONG
Notes and Reactions...
- The Artist is shaping up to be the big player during this year's Awards Season. Not only are its reviews stunning, but it is a creatively challenging film that Awards Season voters tend to love.
- The Descendents is another film that seems destined to earn Oscar nominations and it could pick up five or six major nominations early next year.
- The Help has done well so far, but I don't think it has the prestige to win Best Picture or earn a Best Director nod. It could win multiple nominations for acting, on the other hand.
- Ryan Gosling made three movies this year, all three films earned nominations, including two for the actor himself.
- Even more impressive, George Clooney earned four nominations (Lead Actor, Screenplay, Directing, and Best Picture).
- War Horse was thought to be Oscar Bait, but so far its performance has been lackluster.
- Likewise, Hugo deserves more love.
- I'm glad Bridesmaids earned two nominations, but I'm a little surprised Melissa McCarthy wasn't one of them.
- I'm also disappointed Patton Oswalt didn't earn a nomination for Young Adult.
- Cars 2 got a nomination, but Winnie the Pooh didn't? Of the five films that were nominated, only Arthur Christmas earned better reviews. So what's the deal? It's too short to be considered Feature Length. (The minimum running time is 70 minutes.) Oh well, there's still the Oscars, where the minimum running time is 40 minutes.
Date posted: 2011-12-16