Friday, August 1, 2014
2012 Awards Season: Golden Globes: Artist has Hat-trick, but Descendants on the Rise
The Hollywood Foreign Press Association handed out the Golden Globes last night, and after an Awards Season most notable for the lack of surprises, there were not a lot of surprises either. In fact, the biggest storyline of the night was how many different movies earned wins. The Artist led the way with just three, while The Descendents was the only other film to win more than once.
The categories and winners were...
BEST FEATURE - DRAMA
BEST FEATURE - COMEDY OR MUSICAL
ACTRESS - DRAMA
ACTOR - DRAMA
ACTOR - COMEDY OR MUSICAL
ACTRESS - COMEDY OR MUSICAL
ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
BEST ORIGINAL SONG
Notes and Reactions...
- While The Artist won three awards, for two of those awards it will be in direct competition with The Descendents for the equivalent Oscar. Since The Artist won for Comedy and Musical and The Descendents won for Drama, this makes The Descendents the early Oscar favorite.
- Actually, to be more accurate, these results indicate there is no one Oscar favorite. The Descendents might win only two or three of the most prestigious awards, while if one film can earn several of the technical awards, it could come out on top.
- Martin Scorsese winning for Hugo is arguably the closest we have to a surprise, as Best Picture and Best Director usually go to the same film. (Usually it's the Best Picture - Drama, to be more specific.) The film is also very visually impressive and could win several of the technical Oscars and wind up being the big winner on February 26th.
- The Help only earned one win out of five nominations (Octavia Spencer for Best Supporting Actress). She is still the favorite for the Oscar.
- I wouldn't call it an upset, but I'm disappointed Bridesmaids didn't win either of its nominations (Best Film - Musical or Comedy and Kristen Wiig for Best Actress in a Musical or Comedy). The Artist is just so obviously Oscar bait, while I think a lot of people would agree that Bridesmaids is the funnier film.
- I'm also a little disappointed that Rango didn't win for Best Animated Picture. It was certainly the most unique of the group.
Date posted: 2012-01-16