To Rome With Love topped the per theater chart with an outstanding average of $72,272 in five theaters. While this is an amazing start, there are some reasons to not get too excited. First of all, Moonrise Kingdom opened with more and did so in fewer theaters. Also, Sunday's estimates were a bit higher, so it fell faster than expected over the weekend. Finally, the reviews were split, so it likely won't have as strong legs as some of Woody Allen's films have in the past. The only other film to top the $10,000 mark on the per theater chart was Brave with an average of $15,928. Kumare came very close with $9,601 in one theater over the weekend, while it earned $19,972 from Wednesday through Sunday.
There were not many other new limited releases, but Grassroots did well with $6,497 in one theater, while The Invisible War earned an average of $4,900 in four.
This past week also saw milestones reached for a few Per Theater Chart alumni:
- Headhunters just made it to $1 million over the weekend, but that's as far as it will go.
- Safety Not Guaranteed also just got to $1 million, but unlike the previous film, it will easily reach $2 million and perhaps even a couple more milestones.
- The Intouchables just topped $2 million over the weekend and it should get to $3 million before too long.
- To the Arctic has continued along with amazing legs and surpassed $4 million over the weekend and at this pace, it should get to $5 million.
- For Greater Glory reached $5 million, but its theater count has taken a beating over the past few weeks, so this is as far as it will go.
- Moonrise Kingdom rocketed past $10 million over the weekend and its per theater average is very healthy at $8,593, so it should continue to expand its theater count.
Date posted: 2012-06-26