Tuesday, September 2, 2014
2014 - Awards Season: Slave Top Winners at Spirit Awards
Independent Spirit Award handed out the hardware last night and the big winner was 12 Years a Slave, which picked up five of the seven awards it was nominated for.
The categories and winners are...
BEST FIRST FEATURE
BEST FIRST SCREENPLAY
JOHN CASSAVETES AWARD
(Given to the best feature made for under $500,000)
BEST FEMALE LEAD
BEST MALE LEAD
BEST SUPPORTING MALE
BEST SUPPORTING FEMALE
BEST INTERNATIONAL FILM
ROBERT ALTMAN AWARD (Given to one film's director, casting director and ensemble cast)
Also announced were the nominees for the three Filmmaker Grant Awards.
Piaget Producers Award
Someone to Watch Award
Stella Artois Truer Than Fiction Award is presented to an emerging director of non-fiction features who has not yet received significant attention.
Notes and Reactions...
- Like with the nominations, there were few surprises here, so there's not a lot to react to.
- 12 Years a Slave led the way with five wins, including Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Screenwriter. There's no argument it was the big winner last night.
- Matthew McConaughey won for Dallas Buyers Club, one of the film's two awards. This isn't surprising, but I really wanted Chiwetel Ejiofor to win, or perhaps even Bruce Dern, although admittedly, Bruce Dern was a massive long shot.
- Nebraska was almost shut out with just one win, Bob Nelson for Best First Screenplay, out of six awards it was nominated for.
- 20 Feet from Stardom topped The Act of Killing for Best Documentary, which is a bit of a surprise, at least in my opinion.
- Blue is the Warmest Color won for Best International Film over the favorite, The Great Beauty.
- I wanted Haifaa Al-Mansour to win Best First Feature for Wadjda, especially considering how historically important that film was. (It is the first feature-length film made entirely in Saudi Arabia, the first Saudi film directed by a woman, and it pushes a message of about equal rights for women.) That said, Ryan Coogler winning for Fruitvale Station is not an upset.
Date posted: 2014-03-02