It was a good week on the per theater chart with five films in the $10,000 club, led by Chef with an average of $34,160 in six theaters, which is the third best opening average of the year so far. Palo Alto was well back, but was still strong earning an average of $15,865 in four theaters. The overall box office leader, Neighbors, was next with an average of $14,954. There were also a couple of holdovers in the $10,000 club, which is impressive. Ida held on strong earning an average of $12,223 in seven theaters, with room to keep growing. Belle expanded from 4 theaters to 45 theaters, but still managed an average of $10,825. By this time next week, it will have reached its first major milestone, with more to come.
There were many other new limited releases that came out this week, and several of them did really well. Unfortunately, almost as many bombed. The Double earned an average of $7,323 in 2 theaters. Meanwhile, God's Pocket and Fed Up were really close behind with averages of $7,161 and $7,002 respectively. The Hornet's Nest was also strong with an average of $6,638 in four theaters. On the other hand, The M Word missed the Mendoza Line with an average of $1,430 million in 3 theaters. Stage Fright was the wrong genre for limited release, but earning an average of $324 in 11 theaters is still disappointing, to put it mildly. It likely did a lot better on Video on Demand. Uvanga opened in the States after a run in Canada, but only managed an average of $213 in four theaters.
This past week also saw milestones reached for several Per Theater Chart alumni:
- Finding Vivian Maier reached $1 million before the weekend, but I don't think it will get to $2 million.
- Only Lovers Left Alive also hit $1 million, but it has a better shot at $2 million.
- Under the Skin hit $2 million over the weekend. It might last long enough to get to $3 million, but that's not a sure thing.
- Fading Gigolo got to $2 million faster than I thought it would. At this pace $3 million is a lock.
- As Expected, The Railway Man topped $2 million over the weekend and it should have no trouble getting to $3 million.
Date posted: 2014-05-14