Per Theater Chart: Belle Has Beautiful Debut
May 7th, 2014
Belle led the way on the per theater chart with an opening of just over $100,000 in four theaters for an average of $26,645. Meanwhile, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 was relatively close behind with an average of $21,186 in more than 4,000 theaters. The only other film in the $10,000 club on the per theater chart was Ida, which made $55,000 in 3 theaters for an average of $18,479.
Half of the rest of the new limited releases missed the Mendoza Line, but there were also a couple that did well. NOW: In the Wings on a World Stage was the best of the rest with an average of $7,179 in three theaters. Documented was next with $5,422 in its lone theater. For a Woman was not as strong with an average of $3,265 in two theaters. Water and Power opened in 16 theaters earning an average of $2,464. Decoding Annie Parker missed the Mendoza Line with an average of $1,291 in 13 theaters. More Than the Rainbow was only playing in one theater but it still only managed just $1,082. On the other hand, Walk of Shame was playing in 51 theaters, which partially explains its average of $779. The Protector 2 was well back with $270 in one theater.
This past week also saw milestones reached for a few Per Theater Chart alumni:
- Enemy just got to $1 million over the weekend, but that's as far as it will go.
- Fading Gigolo topped $1 million over the weekend and it should have no trouble getting to $2 million before long.
- The Railway Man reached $1 million since this time last week and it is already more than halfway to $2 million.
- Le Week-End just made it to $2 million over the weekend, but that's likely as far as it will go.
- 2 States also got to $2 million over the weekend and it too will go no further.
- As expected, The Lunchbox hit $3 million, while it has a shot at $4 million.
- The Grand Budapest Hotel made it all the way to $50 million which is a milestone several saturation level releases never reached, like Muppets Most Wanted. (Although to be fair, that film will likely reach that milestone this weekend.)
Filed under: Weekend Box Office, Theater Averages, Belle, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Walk of Shame, Tom yum goong 2, Enemy, Fading Gigolo, The Railway Man, Le Week-End, The Lunchbox, The Grand Budapest Hotel