Per Theater Chart: Guardians Rides to the Rescue
August 6th, 2014
The overall box office leader, The Guardians of the Galaxy, also led the way on the per theater chart with an average of $23,118 in just over 4,000 theaters. Second place went to Calvary, with an average of $18,537 in four theaters. The final film in the $10,000 club was Magic in the Moonlight, with an average of $11,396 in 65 theaters.
This past week also saw milestones reached for several Per Theater Chart alumni:
- Magic in the Moonlight hit $1 million already and it is clearly going to expand more during the upcoming weekend.
- Kick fell 59%, which is actually pretty good for a Bollywood film, as it crossed $2 million in the process.
- Wish I Was Here topped $2 million before the weekend and reached $3 million over the weekend, Its per theater average is below $1,000, so it won't last long in theaters. It cost a reported $6 million to make, but also earned $2.6 million in crowdfunding, so I don't know where the breakeven point it.
- Snowpiercer made it to $4 million just before the weekend. That is as far as it will go, but this is still a great run for a limited release.
- Boyhood hit $5 million before the weekend and it might get to $10 million during the upcoming weekend.
- A Most Wanted Man roared past $5 million over the weekend and will have no trouble getting to $10 million this weekend.
Filed under: Weekend Box Office, Theater Averages, Guardians of the Galaxy, Wish I Was Here, Snowpiercer, Boyhood, A Most Wanted Man