Awards Season: WGAs Welcome Same Group of Nominees
January 5th, 2012
The latest round of major nominations were released today with the WGA nominations. Like much of the rest of the previous announcements, the only surprise was the lack of surprises. Four of the five Original Screenplays earned other nominations in that category or other guild nominations. That number rises to five out of five for Adapted Screenplays. There's little doubt about what films are Oscar contenders at this point. The Documentary films category is a little more contentious, but it usually is.
The categories and nominations are...
- Better This World
- If A Tree Falls: A Story of the Earth Liberation Front
- Nostalgia for the Light
- This Awards Season has been a year without surprises. I think the biggest snub was The Artist not getting a nomination, but that's because it was ruled ineligible. It has a good shot at grabbing an Oscar nod.
- On the other hand, both Win Win and Young Adult might have trouble repeating their performances. It's not that they are bad films, but they haven't earned many previous nominations.
- I would not be surprised in the least if all five Adapted Screenplays nominees also earned Oscar nominations.
- Senna would be a favorite to at least pick up an Oscar nomination, as it has earned a couple previous major nominations, but it wasn't even shortlisted by the Oscars.
Filed under: Awards Season, 50/50, Bridesmaids, Midnight in Paris, Win Win, Young Adult, The Descendants, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Help, Hugo, Moneyball, If A Tree Falls: The Story of the Earth Liberation Front, Nostalgia de la luz, Pina, Senna