International Details: Oceans are Anything But Blue
February 8th, 2010
The top five films on the international scene were published on Wednesday and can be found here.
Oceans opened in its native France and that helped it climb into sixth place with $9.52 million on 888 screens in 4 markets for a total of $16.98 million. It earned third place in its native market with $5.39 million on 542 screens while it was down just 7% during its sophomore stint in Japan with $3.48 million on 303 screens over the weekend for a total of $10.81 million after two.
- Invictus rose by 24% and that helped it stay in seventh place with $9.47 million on 1,685 screens in 20 markets for a total of $29.42 million.
It had a big opening in Spain with $3.00 million on 300 screens, which was enough for second place in that market. Meanwhile it added $3.21 million on 497 screens over the weekend in France for a three-week total of $16.18 million.
- It's Complicated slipped to eighth place with $7.96 million on 2,792 screens in 37 markets for a total of $63.59 million. The film opened in fourth place in Brazil with $838,000 on 348 screens. Meanwhile, it earned fifth place in both the U.K. and Germany, earning $1.35 million on 447 screens and $1.66 million on 558 screens for respective totals of $11.28 million and $5.18 million.
- The Tooth Fairy added $6.36 million on 2,196 screens in 20 markets for a total of $25.87 million after three weeks of release. It struggled in its debut in Russia with $940,000 on 366 screens, which was only enough for fifth place. However, to be fair, it was a crowded marketplace and this film was middle of the pack as far as new releases go.
- Legion debuted in the top ten with $5.38 million on 785 screens for a very early total of $6.79 million. A big chunk of this came from Russia where it opened with $4.30 million on 598 screens, which was enough for first place there.
- Pleasant Goat And Big Bad Wolf 2 opened in second place in China and eleventh place internationally with $5.27 million on 485 screens. That's an excellent per screen average for that market.
- Kiss Me Again opened in Italy with $4.84 million on 576 screens. That was enough for second place in the market and twelfth place internationally.
- After a disappointing start, Confucius held on well and was down 10% to $4.61 million on 2,009 screens in 2 markets for a total of $12.57 million. This strong hold might be too little, too late.
- Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs shot up to 14th place with $4.50 million on 1,370 screens in 17 markets for a total of $94.34 million internationally and $219.21 million worldwide.
The film opened in Germany with $2.91 million on 875 screens over the weekend for a total opening of $3.43 million.
- Did You Hear About the Morgans? earned $4.35 million on 2,062 screens in 38 markets for a total of $36.85 million.
It has already made more internationally than it did domestically, but it will have to continue to be a player internationally for a while before it can be considered a real hit.
The chances of that happening are rather slim.
- Nasha Russia: Yaytsa Sudby had the worst week-to-week performance on the international chart, falling 13 places and 68% to $4.27 million on 1,134 screens in 2 markets for a total of $19.94 million.
However, these declines are relatively common for Russian films and it is still a hit compared to most such films.
- Ishqiya opened in 17th place internationally with $3.89 million on 568 screens in 14 markets.
It was a solid hit in India and looks like it will be a moneymaker for all those involved.
- Edge Of Darkness opened in 18th place with $3.84 million on 1,061 screens in 7 markets. It placed third in its opening in the U.K. with $1.87 million on 423 screens, which is merely mediocre. Meanwhile in Russia it bombed hard with just $430,000 on 263 screens, which was the weakest of five new releases and only enough for seventh place in that market.
- The Book of Eli fell to 19th place with $3.71 million on 1,374 screens in 23 markets for a still early total of $16.83 million. It opened in third place in Mexico with $865,000 on 300 screens.
- The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus grew by 16% to $3.65 million on 1,096 screens in 24 markets for a total of $46.83 million. It placed fourth in Russia with $1.56 million on 289 screens which is okay for that market, especially with the level of competition.
- Harmony opened in second place in South Korea and 21st internationally with $3.17 million on 398 screens over the weekend and $3.77 million in total
- The Spy Next Door dipped just 2% to $2.73 million on 709 screens in 7 markets for a total of $12.70 million. It opened in sixth place in Russia with $667,000 on 271 screens.
- About Her Brother opened in third place in Japan and 23rd place internationally with $2.62 million on 303 screens.
- Rann was the second Indian movie to chart with $2.59 million on 763 screens in 15 markets, but reports have its production budget well above this figure so it is very unlikely that it will break even.
- Nine tumbled down to 25th place with $2.56 million on 1,050 screens in 21 markets for a total of just $17.57 million after a month of release. It really hasn't found an audience anywhere, but no major openings also hurt the film this week.
- Serge Gainsbourg, vie Héroïque fell from 13th to 26th place with $2.20 million on 511 screens in 2 markets for a total of $6.97 million. It fell from third to sixth in France adding $1.98 million on 499 screens over the weekend for a total of $6.32 million after two.
- Golden Slumber opened in fourth place in Japan and 27th place internationally with $2.17 million on 307 screens.
- The Lovely Bones entered the international chart in 28th place with $2.17 million on 461 screens in 3 markets for a total of $9.99 million. This includes a sixth place opening in Japan where it made $1.52 million on 306 screens over the weekend and $1.97 million in total. That's just below the $5,000 per screen average that is usually so critical in this market. On the one hand, it did open before the weekend and its per screen average for its total opening was more than $6,000. On the other hand, legs in this market have been shrinking over the years, and that milestone has been affected by inflation, so this might not matter.
- Friendship! nearly plummeted out of the top 30, falling to 29th place with $1.97 million on 482 screens in 2 markets for a total of $10.38 million. In Germany it was only down 36% to $1.85 million on 428 screens over the weekend for a total of $9.71 million after two.
- Law Abiding Citizen returned to the chart in 30th place with $1.96 million on 406 screens in 10 markets for a total of $37.84 million.
This includes a second place, $1.66 million opening on 194 screens in Australia.
It is nearly finished with its international run and has no chance of matching its domestic total.
Fortunately, it was a bigger than expected hit here and if it can garner strong home market sales it should break even.
Filed under: International Box Office
, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
, Did You Hear About the Morgans?
, The Spy Next Door
, Law Abiding Citizen
, The Tooth Fairy
, Edge of Darkness
, It's Complicated
, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
, The Book of Eli
, The Lovely Bones