International Details: Squeakquel Squeezed out of the Top Five
February 14th, 2010
The top five films on the international scene were published on Wednesday and can be found here.
For the first time during its international run, Alvin and the Chipmunks 2: The Squeakquel missed the top five and placed sixth with $7.10 million on 3,699 screens in 42 markets for a total of $200.87 million internationally and $413.03 million worldwide.
With no major market openings left, the film will likely fall further down the chart over the coming weeks, but it has already made a huge profit, so Fox will be more than happy.
- 14 Blades opened in seventh place with just shy of $7.00 million on 676 screens in 3 markets over the weekend for a total of $8.78 million.
It is likely that most of this came from China, but market breakdowns were not available.
- Oceans continues to do well on the international chart, earning eighth place with $6.81 million on 896 screens in 4 markets for a total of $27.37 million.
In France, it added $4.78 million on 551 screens over the weekend for a total of $10.27 million after two.
Meanwhile it remained in second place in Japan with $2.48 million on 302 screens over the weekend to lift its total to $15.55 million after three.
- Paranormal Activity returned to the top 30.
In fact, it reached the top ten with $6.58 million on 909 screens in 17 markets for a total of $80.94 million after three months of release.
Of its weekend haul, it earned $5.04 million on 411 screens in Italy, which was enough for second place there.
If it can hold on there, then it could reach $100 million internationally and $200 million worldwide.
The latter is certainly more likely, as it is only $12 million away.
- Kandagar opened in tenth place with $6.19 million on 796 screens in 2 markets. Those two markets were Russia, where it placed first with $5.99 million on 737 screens, while it had to settle for second place in the Ukraine with $200,000 on 59 screens.
- It's Complicated fell out of the top ten with $5.83 million on 2,520 screens in 39 markets for a total of $73.55 million.
It had no major openings this past weekend, but has debuts in Japan, South Korea, Italy, and others ahead of it.
- The Secret Reunion opened in first place in South Korea and 12th place internationally with $4.88 million on 599 screens over the weekend and $5.77 million in total.
- Pleasant Goat And Big Bad Wolf 2 added $4.18 million on 465 screens in 2 markets to take its total to $12.59 million after just two weeks of release.
- Edge Of Darkness rose four places and 4% to $3.99 million on 1,372 screens in 12 markets for a two-week total of $9.67 million.
New openings were led by Australia, where the film made $1.25 million on 205 screens, earning second place in the process.
- The Tooth Fairy fell to 15th place with $3.89 million on 2,067 screens in 21 markets for a total of $31.86 million internationally, which is closing in on its domestic total.
No major market openings hurt the film, but its international run is far from over.
- Did You Hear About the Morgans? slipped a spot to 16th with $3.88 million on 1,960 screens in 48 markets for a total of $41.98 million.
The next major market opening for the film is Russia next weekend, while it opens in Italy at the end of the month and Japan and Brazil next month.
- Zeiten ändern Dich! opened in 17th place with $3.36 million on 449 screens in 3 markets.
Of that, $3.00 million was earned in 426 screens in Germany, which was enough for third place.
- Kiss Me Again fell to 18th place internationally with $3.29 million on 584 screens over the weekend in Italy, which was enough for third place in that market and enough to lift its total to $9.19 million after two weeks of release.
- Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs is about a week away from $100 million internationally and has likely already made it there.
This past weekend it pulled in $3.11 million on 1,283 screens in 17 market for a total of $98.65 million internationally and $223.53 million worldwide.
- The Book of Eli landed in 20th place with $2.92 million on 1,148 screens in 24 markets for a total of $21.15 million.
- Harmony remained in second place in South Korea and 21st internationally with $2.46 million on 391 screens over the weekend and $8.29 million in total
- The Road returned to the top 30 with $2.24 million on 482 screens in 7 markets for a total of $13.58 million after more than two months of release.
- The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus fell to 23rd place with $2.14 million on 1,050 screens in 22 markets for a total of $51.00 million after four months of release.
- Planet 51 returned to the chart in 24th place with $2.13 million on 1,073 screens in 20 markets for a total of $56.07 million.
It opened in France last weekend but failed to make much of an impact with just $1.50 million on 454 screens, which was only enough for seventh place.
- Astro Boy finally reached the top 30 with $2.07 million on 846 screens over the weekend for a total of $24.54 million, which is more than it made domestically. In the U.K. the film managed third place with $1.70 million on 407 screens.
- Likewise, Precious climbed into the top 30 with $1.82 million on 331 screens in 8 markets for a total of $3.67 million.
- Ishqiya fell to 27th place internationally with $1.77 million on 623 screens in 14 markets for a total of $5.66 million, mostly from India.
- Protéger Et Servir opened in 28th place with $1.76 million on 354 screens in 2 markets. Of that, $1.58 million was earned in 345 screens in France.
- From Paris With Love made its international debut in 29th place with $1.75 million on 556 screens in 7 markets, none of them major markets.
- Legion had the worst week-to-week decline, down 20 spots and nearly 70% to $1.66 million on 779 screens in 9 markets for a total of $9.82 million.
Filed under: International Box Office
, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
, Did You Hear About the Morgans?
, Paranormal Activity
, Precious (Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire)
, From Paris With Love
, The Tooth Fairy
, Edge of Darkness
, It’s Complicated
, The Road
, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
, Planet 51
, The Book of Eli
, Astro Boy
, Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel