International Details: Princess Still Powerful
March 7th, 2010
The top five films on the international scene were published on Wednesday and can be found here.
The Princess and the Frog may have slipped out of the top five internationally, but it still added $8.32 million on 3053 screens in 28 markets for a total of $143.18 million. It had no major market openings again this week, but it added $2.84 million on 689 screens over the weekend in France for a total of $27.30 million after a month of release there. This weekend the film debuted in Japan, which could help it return to the top five. Regardless, it has made enough money that it should show a profit, eventually.
- Sherlock Holmes returned to seventh place with $7.93 million on 2742 screens in 39 markets for a total of $278.52 million internationally and $484.94 million worldwide. Much of this came from the film's debut in China, where it made $4.1 million on 612 screens. It debuts in Japan next weekend.
- The Lovely Bones moved in the other direction, down from seventh to eigth. It was down just 7% to $6.53 million on 4772 screens in 32 markets for a total of $35.04 million. The film had a trio of wide releases led by Spain, but it only managed sixth place there with $725,000 on 263 screens. It also managed just sixth place in South Korea with $643,000 on 275 screens over the weekend and $760,000 in total. Finally, it placed seventh in Russia with $557,000 on 281 screens.
- Invictus opened in Italy with $2.65 million on 418 screens, which was a record for Clint Eastwood in that market, even if it was only enough for second place over the weekend. Overall, it made $6.53 million on 2509 screens in 34 markets for a total of $72.35 million.
- Genitori & Figli: Agitare Bene Prima Dell'uso opened in first in Italy and 10th overall with $4.23 million on 471 screens.
- Edge Of Darkness had its best performance so far, earning 11th place with $4.19 million on 1706 screens in 27 markets for a total of $22.70 million after a month of release. The film's biggest opening came in Spain, where it earned third place with $1.49 million on 305 screens. Additionally, it reached second in Mexico with $957,000 on 354 screens.
- The Book of Eli shot into 12th place with $4.16 million on 1122 screens in 23 markets for a total of $31.75 million. In Italy it was able to open in fourth place with $1.81 million on 331 screens.
- No Love in the City 2 debuted in Russia, scoring first place with $4.11 million on 868 screens.
- Oceans remained in 14th place with $4.92 million on 1208 screens in 5 markets for a total of $47.81 million. In Germany it opened in fourth place with $932,000 on 247 screens over the weekend for a total opening of $1.01 million.
- It's Complicated saw its total rise 55% to $3.17 million on 1686 screens in 39 markets for a total of $89.86 million. It was able to earn first place in Brazil by less than $100 over Percy Jackson with $957,000 on 166 screens over the weekend for a total of $983,000.
- Le Mac added $3.15 million on 492 screens in 3 markets for a total of $8.87 million. Of that, $2.75 million was earned on 470 screens in France, where it climbed into second place over the weekend. So far it has made $7.75 million in its native market, which is about equivalent of $50 million here.
- From Paris With Love climbed to 17th place with $3.11 million on 1188 screens in 17 markets for a total of $9.78 million. The film opened in the U.K. but bombed with just $1.03 million on 280 screens, only enough for 8th place there.
- Up in the Air was right behind with $3.11 million on 1610 screens in 46 markets for a total of $69.17 million internationally and $151.25 million worldwide.
- Little Big Soldier added $3.02 million on 596 screens in 6 markets for a total of $21.21 million after three weeks of release.
- The Secret Reunion remained in first place in South Korea for the fourth weekend in a row adding $2.97 million on 493 screens over the weekend for a total of $28.46 million.
- Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs added $2.83 million on 1340 screens in 16 markets for a total of $112.91 million internationally and $237.78 million worldwide.
- The Blind Side landed in the top 30 for the first time during its run in 22nd place with $2.75 million on 322 screens in 8 markets for an early total of $3.83 million. Of this, $2.31 million was earned on 221 screens over the weekend in Australia, while it now has $2.63 million in that market (including previews).
- Karthik Calling Karthik opened in 23rd place with $2.62 million on 983 screens in 15 markets. It will need to hold on a little better than most Indian films to be considered a real hit, but it is off to a reasonable start.
- Another Indian film was next, as My Name is Khan fell to 24th place with $2.02 million on 1026 screens in 14 markets for a total of $29.59 million after three weeks of release.
- Hot Summer Days fell to 25th with $2.02 million on 1374 screens in 5 markets for a total of $16.28 million after three weeks of release.
- A Single Man entered the top 30 for the first time in its run with $2.01 million on 365 screens in 13 markets for a total of $7.70 million, which is almost as much as it has made domestically. The film opened in limited release in Australia, but still managed ninth place with $236,000 on 26 screens over the weekend for a total of $275,000.
- Eyyvah Eyvah was the latest Turkish film to chart, opening in 27th place with $1.92 million on 416 screens in 4 markets.
- The Crazies debuted in 28th place internationally thanks to a third place, $1.82 million debut on 345 screens in the U.K.
- Alvin and the Chipmunks 2: The Squeakquel just about fell out of the top 30 with $1.82 million on 1975 screens in 23 markets for a total of $220.18 million internationally and $436.74 million worldwide.
- Recep Ivedik 3 rounded out the top 30 with $1.80 million on 479 screens in 5 markets for a total of $20.19 million after three weeks of release.
Filed under: International Box Office
, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
, The Crazies
, Up in the Air
, A Single Man
, The Blind Side
, From Paris With Love
, Edge of Darkness
, It's Complicated
, The Book of Eli
, The Princess and the Frog
, The Lovely Bones
, Sherlock Holmes
, Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel
, My Name is Khan
, Karthik Calling Karthik