Awards Season - Slumdog Rich in Awards
February 22nd, 2009
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced their winners tonight in a star-studded gala. While there were plenty of winners, Slumdog Millionaire walked away with eight Oscars, easily the most of any film tonight.
The categories and winners are...
ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)
WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)
- Dustin Lance Black for Milk
BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM OF THE YEAR
ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
SHORTY FILM - ANIMATED
SHORT FILM - LIVE ACTION
- La Maison en Petits Cubes
Notes and Reactions...
- There were a few surprises tonight, but not at the top.
Slumdog Millionaire won Best Picture, Best Director and Best Adapted Screenplay, as well as several of the more technical awards.
In fact, it won eight of the nine awards it was nominated for, and only missed out on Best Achievement in Sound Editing.
- Sean Penn won for Milk, beating out
- Mickey Rourke's performance in The Wrestler, which is the only real upset of note.
- Kate Winslet finally won her Oscar; however, The Reader won't be remembered as one of her best movies. She's been in better movies where she wasn't even nominated.
- Penelope Cruz winning for Vicky Cristina Barcelona was an upset in my mind, as I had Taraji P. Henson winning for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.
However, that was going against conventional wisdom.
- WALL-E won Best Animated Feature, making this the fourth time Pixar has won in the eight years of this contest.
No other studio has won more than twice.
- The Curious Case of Benjamin Button picked up three awards out of the thirteen it was nominated for (all technical awards) while Milk and The Dark Knight each picked up two.
- Heath Ledger became only the second actor to win a posthumous acting Oscar.
Filed under: Awards Season
, The Dark Knight
, Slumdog Millionaire
, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
, The Reader
, Vicky Cristina Barcelona
, The Duchess
, Man on Wire