International Details for May 18
August 5th, 2007
No, this is not a repeat, May 18 is the name of a South Korean film that opened last weekend with $7.40 million on 534 screens over the weekend and $9.66 million in total. This was enough for first place finish in its native market and a sixth place finish internationally.
That's it for $1 million movies, but we do have couple of films that started their international runs this weekend but failed to reach that plateau. For instance, I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry earned $869,000 on 139 screens in 3 markets including $371,000 on 57 screens in Holland, which is a personal best for Adam Sandler.
- Shrek the Third fell out of the top five with $6.91 million on 4101 screens in 38 markets for a total of $398.65 million. The film will have hit $400 million already, but it is running out of places to open in and will not match Shrek 2 at the box office.
- Knocked Up rose into the top ten with $3.03 million on 564 screens in 4 markets for a still early international total of $12.96 million. This growth was thanks to the film's second place, $1.89 million opening on 300 screens in Russia, which was the film's first significant foreign language market. This is roughly four time what The 40-Year Old Virgin earned during its opening 2 years ago, and a huge sign that the film could become an international hit as well.
- Hairspray added $2.95 million on 394 screens in 3 markets for a total of $11.50 million internationally. Almost all of this came from the film's sophomore stint in the U.K. where it added $2.82 million on 335 screens over the weekend for a $11.25 million total.
- Partner just managed to grab a spot in the top ten with $2.81 million on 348 screens in 17 markets for a total of $10.22 million. However, its 11% drop-off is amazing for this type of film.
- Pokemon 2007 is holding on a lot better than expected down just 27% to $2.33 million on 351 screens for a total of $20.71 million. That was enough for third place in Japan and 11th place internationally.
- Monkey Magic was right behind with $1.99 million on 460 screens over the weekend and $16.30 million in total, all of which has come from Japan.
- Ocean's Thirteen added $1.95 million on 1544 screens in 42 markets over the weekend, which was enough to lift its international total to $159.78 million while its worldwide total is now $275.53 million.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End is coasting on holdovers adding $1.89 million on 1664 screens in 23 markets for a $644.48 million internationally and $951.14 million worldwide.
- Grindhouse held strong with $1.58 million over the weekend and $19.16 million in total. The film is quickly closing in on its domestic total with Death Proof doing the majority of the work earning $1.44 million on 714 screens in 21 markets over the weekend and $17.56 million in total.
- Next saw its weekend haul sliced nearly in half to $1.34 million on 594 screens in 11 markets while its total rose to $30.66 million. Almost all of that came from Spain where it added $1.03 million on 324 screens for a two-week total of $3.55 million.
- Invisible Target showed it had legs down just 24% to $1.28 million on 522 screens in 3 markets for a total of $4.80 million.
- Evan Almighty returned to the charts with $1.20 million on 287 screens in 8 markets for a total of $5.90 million after more than a month of release. The film's biggest opening came in South Korea where it placed 6th over the weekend with $701,000 on 198 screen while pulling in $920,000 in total. Its best opening came in Denmark with $182,000 on 35 screens. Both openings were inline with lowered expectations.
- Hostel: Part II also returned to the charts with $1.16 million on 784 screens in 17 markets for a total of $15.05 million.
Also opening was No Reservations with $751,000 on 249 screens in Mexico, which was strong enough for fourth place and inline with other Romantic Comedies.
Filed under: International Box Office
, Shrek the Third
, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
, Knocked Up
, I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry
, Ocean's Thirteen
, Evan Almighty
, No Reservations
, Hostel: Part II
, Pokemon 2007: Diamond & Pearl
, Monkey Magic
, Hwaryeohan hyuga
, Nan er ben se