International Details - No Heartbreak for the Kid
December 16th, 2007
The Heartbreak Kid slipped a spot to sixth with $5.04 million on 2029 screens in 46 markets for a total of $79.44 million internationally, which is more than twice what it earned domestically. This includes France where it pulled in $1.10 million on 320 screens while lifting its running tally to $3.37 million in that market.
- American Gangster also fell out of the top five with $4.34 million on 1575 screens in 20 markets for a total of $47.28 million. The film has yet to open in three dozen markets, which makes its start so far even more impressive.
- Fred Claus opened in Mexico but missed first place by a wide margin with $694,000 on 269 screens. This is especially disappointing for a family friendly market like Mexico. On the other hand, the film held well in the U.K. down just 32% to $2.69 million on 458 screens over the weekend for a two-week total of $7.77 million. Overall the film added $4.06 million on 1350 screens in 16 markets for a total of $13.42 million so far.
- L'Auberge Rouge, which means The Red Auberge (or possible The Auberge Scoundrel) opened in third place in France with $2.37 million on 582 screens over the weekend. Adding in smaller markets and the movie opened in ninth place with $3.07 million on 904 screens in 4 markets.
- August Rush landed in 10th place with $2.87 million on 500 screens in 3 markets for a total of $9.02 million. The film remained the champion of the South Korean box office growing by 13% to $2.48 million over the weekend and a total of $6.38 million.
- A Tale Of Mari And Three Puppies ruled the box office in Japan earning $2.55 million on 333 screens during its opening.
- Saw IV earned $2.11 million on 997 screens in 23 markets for a total of $51.12 million.
- 1408 remained flat down a mere 3% to $1.96 million on 666 screens in 13 markets for a total of $44.83 million. This includes a fourth place, $729,000 opening on 159 screens in Australia.
- One Foundation grew by 22% while it shot up 12 plays to 14th. The Chinese film dominated its home market earning $1.96 million on 300 screens for a total of $3.92 million so far. It will be interesting to see if it can expand or land a significant run here.
- [Rec] remained a player in Spain finishing third with $1.94 million on 273 screens over the weekend for a total of $8.71 million after three.
- Warum Manner Nicht Zuhoren Und Frauen Schlecht Einparken was pushed into second in Germany by The Golden Compass, but was down only 15% to $1.90 million on 338 screens over the weekend while its total hit $4.62 million after two.
- On the other hand, Winx Club: Il Segreto Del Regno Perduto slumped in Italy down 45% to $1.77 million on 523 screens over the weekend and $5.82 million in total. That was enough for 2nd in the market and 17th internationally.
- In comparison, fellow Italian film, Matrimonio Alle Bahamas, was down just 19% to $1.74 million on 274 screens while its running tally climbed to $14.96 million.
- Seven Days it holding on better than most films do in South Korea down just 16% this week to $1.69 million on 270 screens while its total reached $12.25 million.
- Lust, Caution is shedding screens and markets, but it still added $1.60 million on 466 screens in 13 markets to its total of $45.17 million. It has yet to play in a number of major markets, including Japan, U.K., Spain, etc., but it is tough to gage how well it will perform in these places.
- The White Angel has done very well in both Turkey and Germany, which has a large Turkish immigrant population. In the former it has spent four weeks in first place while earning $7.21 million, including $1.07 million on 200 screens this past weekend. In the latter it has earned $1.37 million over the past four weeks, including $301,000 on just 38 screens this past weekend. Overall it made $1.42 million on 244 screens in 5 markets for a total of $8.92 million.
- Ratatouille is just coasting on holdovers at the moment but it still added $1.41 million on 1726 screens in 21 markets for a total of $407.88 million internationally while its worldwide total hit $614.31 million. The film has no more markets left to open in and no more milestone that are within reach, but it has had an impressive run.
- Dus Kahanyaan struggled here and bombed abroad with just $1.35 million on 671 screens in 17 markets during its opening weekend.
- No new markets didn't hurt We Own the Night too much as it slipped just four places to 24th with $1.33 million on 405 screens in 9 markets for a very early total of $5.89 million.
- Elizabeth: The Golden Age added $1.29 million on 811 screens in 25 markets for a total of $33.92 million so far. The film still has a few major markets left to open in, but it seems hard to imagine it turning around its run at this time.
- Tous A L'Ouest: Une Aventure De Lucky Luke debuted in fifth place in France with $1.21 million on 503 screens over the weekend. That was all but a rounding error of the films $1.21 million weekend haul, which was earned on 535 screens in 3 markets.
- Always: Sunset on Third Street 2 fell from first to third in Japan and from 19th to 28th internationally. However it still added $1.17 million on 288 screens this past weekend for a total of $32.48 million after six week.
- Mr. Brooks opened in fifth place in Spain with just $973,000 on 213 screens over the weekend and $1.45 million in total. Overall the film made $1.13 million on 315 screens in 5 markets for a total of $17.51 million, which is well back of the film's anemic domestic total.
- Hairspray also returned to the charts, but only in 30th place with $1.10 million on 280 screens in 4 markets for a total of $80,26 million. The film debuted in fourth place in South Korea with $1.08 million 235 screens over the weekend and $1.23 million in total. This is a disappointing start, but the film now has nearly $200 million worldwide so no one is complaining.
Filed under: International Box Office
, Fred Claus
, The Golden Compass
, Saw IV
, The Heartbreak Kid
, August Rush
, We Own the Night
, Mr. Brooks
, Elizabeth: The Golden Age
, Se jie
, Dus Kahaniyaan
, L'auberge rouge
, Matrimonio alle Bahamas
, Seven Days
, Beyaz Melek
, One Foundation
, Warum Männer nicht zuhören und Frauen schlecht einparken
, Winx Club - Il Segreto Del Regno Perduto
, A Tale of Mari and Three Puppies
, Tous à l'Ouest: Une aventure de Lucky Luke
, American Gangster
, Always zoku san-chôme no yûhi