Award Season - SAG Follows the Script - SAG Nominations
December 23rd, 2007
The Screen Actors Guild nominations were announced this week, but again there were no clear front runners for the six theatrical categories.
The categories and nominations are...
Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role
Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role
Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role
Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role
Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture
Outstanding Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Motion Picture
Notes and Reactions...
- Again, it's hard to point to one film and say, "That's the big winner!"
- No Country for Old Men came the closest with four nominations, but three of those were for supporting roles.
- Strangely, both 3:10 to Yuma and Hairspray earned nominations for Outstanding Cast, and that was it.
- Of the 20 nominations that have equivalents at the Golden Globes, 15 were the same. Even the three of the five movies nominated for Outstanding Cast earned Best Picture nominations at the Golden Globes.
- The big winner here that wasn't earlier was Into the Wild, which picked up three nominations. On the other hand, Atonement was shut out after earning seven Golden Globes nominations.
- Good news for Ellen Page as she earned a nomination for Juno. Normally comedies don't perform well outside the Golden Globes where there is a separate category for them. It's strange, it is a lot harder to pull off comedy than it is drama (just ask a director if they would rather have a comedian play a serious role or a dramatic actor play in a comedy). However, comedies don't get the same respect during award season.
- I particularly like the new category, Outstanding Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Motion Picture. It's about time people doing the stunt got some recognition by the big award committees.
Filed under: Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End
, I am Legend
, The Bourne Ultimatum
, No Country for Old Men
, Michael Clayton
, The Kingdom
, There Will Be Blood
, Gone, Baby, Gone
, Into the Wild
, Eastern Promises
, Elizabeth: The Golden Age
, La Môme
, A Mighty Heart
, Lars and the Real Girl
, Away From Her
, I'm Not There
, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
, American Gangster
, 3:10 to Yuma