SAG Singles out Cowboys
January 6th, 2006
Of the 13 awards the Screen Actors Guild will hand out on January 29th, 2006, five will be awarded to theatrical releases. And like past awards nominations, Brokeback Mountain again led the way, with four in total.
However, this time there were two films close behind as Crash and Capote each received three nominations.
Here is a complete list of the theatrical nominations:
Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role
Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role
Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role
Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role
Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture
- Another group of nominees where there's nothing really shocking.
- Of the 20 individual nominations, all but 4 were nominated for the same category for the Golden Globes.
- Of those four nominations, three were for performances in films that were already nominated for acting awards and the fourth went to an Independent Spirit Award nominee.
- Of the five cast nominations, three earned multiple individual nods and only the cast of Hustle & Flow was completely shut out from the individual awards.
- I'm still a little surprised that Ziyi Zhang is earning so many nominations as Memoirs of a Geisha was not greeted with enthusiasm by critics or moviegoers.
- Paul Giamatti earned another nomination, but that's only so he will get his hopes up before the Oscar voters crush his spirits, again.
- Of the three films to earn three or more nominations, Brokeback Mountain is much more likely to be the big winner.
Source: Screen Actors Guild
Filed under: Walk the Line
, Brokeback Mountain
, Cinderella Man
, Memoirs of a Geisha
, The Constant Gardener
, Good Night, and Good Luck
, Hustle & Flow
, North Country
, Mrs. Henderson Presents