International Details - Furious' Start not quite Fast Enough
June 25th, 2006
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift started its international run last weekend but missed the top five with $7.93 million on 810 screens in 8 markets. The film took first place in five markets, including the U.K. with $3.35 million on 415 screens, in Australia with $2.28 million on 221 screens, and New Zealand with $444,000 on 53 screens. This is inline with what the original opened with in those markets, but with shorter legs due to Sequelitis it won't have as high a final box office.
- Over the Hedge opened in first place in Spain with $2.37 million on 476 screens while it struggled in its other major market debut of Australia where it managed just sixth place with $568,000 on 217 screens. Those openings did help its overall weekend number grow by 44% to $3.97 million on 1221 screens in 15 markets for an early total of $18.70 million.
- Death Note open in first place in its native Japan with $3.63 million on 342 screens.
- The Break-Up opened in second place in Mexico with $943,000 on 938 screens while in Russia it had to settle for third with $599,000 on 187 over the weekend and $735,000 in total. However, the film's best market was again Australia where it added $1.20 million on 213 screens for a total of $4.36 million. Overall the film was up 31% from its debut with $3.25 million on 649 screens in 5 markets for a very early international total of $6.73 million.
- Trick 2 fell 30% during its second weekend of release adding $2.69 million on 282 screens to its running tally of $8.90 million in its native Japan.
- Dirty Carnival captured second place during its debut in South Korea with $2.64 million on 390 screens over the weekend and $3.49 million in total.
- Mission: Impossible 3 had one of the worst week-to-week drop-offs on the charts this week down 48% to $1.85 million on 1648 screens in 50 markets for a $204.06 million international total. The film is shedding theatres at an accelerated pace, and will start shedding markets as well.
- Limit Of Love: Umizaru continues to play well in Japan adding $1.77 million on 290 screens for a total of $55.43 million.
- Garfield's A Tail of Two Kitties started its international run, and it was far superior than its domestic start as it scored a first place finish in Brazil with $1.4 million on 369 screens. Overall it placed 14th overall with $1.73 million on 499 screens in 3 markets.
- R.V. continues to expand growing by 18% to $1.72 million on 768 screens in 18 markets for an international total of just $5.27 million. Despite adding more than half-a-dozen markets, its best was the U.K. where it grew by 7% to $542,000 on 289 screens for a two week total of $1.33 million.
- Volver continues to beat expectations in France where it had the best week-to-week drop-off in the top ten there down a mere 20% to $993,000 on 395 screens for a total of $11.73 million after a month of release. Overall the film made $1.50 million on 743 screens in 5 markets for an international total of $33.90 million.
- After a small start last weekend, Just My Luck got its first shot at a major market but failed to take advantage bringing in just $1.17 million on 524 screens in 6 markets for a total of $1.73 million. Its biggest and best market was Spain where it finished fourth with $693,000 on 249 screens while it missed the top ten entirely in Australia with just $236,000 on 139 screens.
- La Maison Du Bonheur fell from first to third in France with $1.15 million on 406 screens over the weekend for a two-week total of $3.30 million.
- Baruto No Gakuen opened in fifth place in its native Japan with $1.50 million on 299 screens, which was enough for 19th place overall.
- A Song to the Sun was just a rounding error behind with $1.15 million on 219 screens placing sixth in the native market and 20th overall.
- Phir Hera Pheri fell 44% during its second weekend of release adding $1.10 million on 588 screens in 15 markets to its running tally of $3.78 million.
- The Wild recovered nicely from last weekend down just 7% to $1.06 million on 1374 screens in 25 markets for a $47.13 million international total.
- Hard Candy opened in the U.K. over the weekend bringing in $977,000 on 308 screens for a fourth place finish. Adding in a semi-limited run in Spain that is now in its sixth week, and the film made $1.05 million on 351 screens for a total of $1.99 million overall.
- Ice Age: The Meltdown dipped below the $1 million mark this weekend earning $990,000 on 1270 screen in 5 markets for a total of $443.05 million .
- Ultraviolet reentered the charts with a 25th place, $967,000 weekend on 502 screens in 7 markets for $6.34 million overall. Most of that came from Spain where it finished sixth with $518,000 on 189 screens while it earned just $198,000 on 180 screens in Italy.
- American Dreamz opened in fifth place in Germany with $416,000 on 148 screens, which is one of the film's best openings. Overall it made $860,000 on 598 screens in 15 markets for a total of $7.37 million in total.
- United 93 was hit particularly hard by the World Cup last weekend but recovered this weekend down just 6% to $825,000 on 540 screens in 4 markets for a $6.04 million total.
- Scary Movie 4 spent its last weekend in the top 30 down 39% to 28th place with $799,000 on 468 screens in 29 markets for a totla of $69.26 million. That's more than enough to guarantee another sequel.
- On Va S'aimer opened in seventh place in France with $755,000 on 245 screens, which was enough to place 29th overall.
- Take the Lead was the final film in the top 30 with $696,000 on 482 screens in 12 markets for a total of $21.67 million after 10 weeks of release.
- Stick It just missed the top 30 with $675,000 on 121 screens in Australia.
- Thank You For Smoking opened in 10th place in the U.K. with $349,000 on just 100 screens. That's a good start all things considered, but nowhere near what it did here.
Filed under: International Box Office
, Ice Age: The Meltdown
, Over the Hedge
, Mission: Impossible III
, The Break-Up
, Scary Movie 4
, The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift
, The Wild
, Take the Lead
, United 93
, Garfield: A Tail of Two Kitties
, Stick It
, Thank You For Smoking
, Just My Luck
, Hard Candy
, American Dreamz