Award Season - Fighting for Independence
November 29th, 2006
As always, Award Season officially begins with the announcing of the Independent Spirit Award nominations. While this is the first major awards to announce their nominations, they are one of the last to hand them out so the nominees have a long wait ahead of them.
First Feature Film
John Cassavetes Award
Given to the best feature made for under $500,000.
Also being celebrated this year for Special Distinction Awards are David Lynch and Laura Dern.
- Half Nelson and Little Miss Sunshine were the two biggest winners when it came to nominations with the two films earning five nominations each. I was expecting Little Miss Sunshine to do this well, in fact, I wouldn't have been surprised if Steve Carell or Abigail Breslin had picked up nominations. In fact, every member of the main cast put in an award-worthy performance.
- Four films, American Gun, The Dead Girl, A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints, and Man Push Cart each earned three nominations.
- Pan's Labyrinth also did well earning two nominations, including best feature. This bodes very well for its upcoming domestic release.
- I'm glad to see Friends with Money, Quinceanera, and Twelve and Holding get some recognition. The first film opened so long ago I figured not enough people would remember it while the other two were not big earners, (especially Twelve and Holding.)
- I was surprised that Steven Soderbergh was nominated for Bubble. Its reviews just didn't seem award-worthy.
Filed under: Little Miss Sunshine
, The Illusionist
, El Laberinto del Fauno
, Thank You For Smoking
, A Prairie Home Companion
, Friends with Money
, The Painted Veil
, For Your Consideration
, Half Nelson
, Sweet Land
, A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints
, Conversations with Other Women
, The Road to Guantanamo
, Old Joy
, Twelve and Holding
, The Motel
, Brothers of the Head
, Man Push Cart
, My Country My Country
, Stephanie Daley
, Sorry, Haters
, American Gun