Award Season - Babel and Departed are Golden
December 15th, 2006
Babel led the way when the Golden Globe nominations were announced today with seven nominations while The Departed was close behind with six.
Best Motion Picture - Drama
Best Motion Picture - Comedy or Musical
Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama
Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama
Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
Best Director - Motion Picture
Best Screenplay - Motion Picture
Best Original Song - Motion Picture
Best Original Score - Motion Picture
Best Foreign Language Film
Best Animated Film
- Babel earned seven nominations followed by The Departed with six and Dreamgirls with five. Of those three, I think The Departed has be best chance of being the big winner.
- Leonardo DiCaprio captured two nominations for best actor in a dramatic role. One for The Blood Diamond and the other for The Departed. Vote splitting could cost him a win for either paving the way for Forest Whitaker to take home the hardware. Then again, some might vote a straight The Departed ticket helping his chances there.
- Clint Eastwood also earned two nods for Best Directing for Flags of Our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima. However, in this case it looks like it's Martin Scorsese's year to win this battle.
- Bobby was the only Best Picture contender not to pick up any other nominations in major categories and therefor has to be seen as a serious underdog.
- Of the Best Motion Picture - Comedy or Musical nominees, only Dreamgirls has any real shot as Oscar glory, although I was happier to see nominations for Devil Wears Prada and Little Miss Sunshine.
- Peter O'Toole is a senitmetal favorite to win for his role in Venus, but realistically he has to be considered an underdog. He has a better shot at the Oscar as voting committees like to make up for past mistakes and he's had seven nominations with no wins.
- Monster House was better than Over the Hedge? I didn't think so.
- Both Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy and Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy seem wide open. I can't pick whose the favorite in those two categories. Even just personal favorite leaves me conflicted.
Source: Hollywood Foreign Press
Filed under: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
, The Da Vinci Code
, Happy Feet
, The Pursuit of Happyness
, The Departed
, The Devil Wears Prada
, Monster House
, Little Miss Sunshine
, Blood Diamond
, The Queen
, Stranger Than Fiction
, El Laberinto del Fauno
, Flags of Our Fathers
, Thank You For Smoking
, The Last King of Scotland
, Notes on a Scandal
, Letters from Iwo Jima
, The Fountain
, The Painted Veil
, Running With Scissors
, Little Children
, Miss Potter
, Kinky Boots
, Home of the Brave