Sith Steal the Show
May 29th, 2005
Revenge of the Sith dominated nearly every market it opened in and in most of them it was the only new film in the top ten. Because of this there's almost no international details to report and those details that are available are single market releases.
- Coming in second place on the international charts was Kingdom of Heaven, which again saw its weekend box office sliced in half with $13.5 million on 6000 screens for a $131.7 million. The film is still earning $1 million weekend in a few markets, Spain at $1.3 million, Germany at $1.18 million and United Kingdom at $1.175, but its best market was Japan, where Revenge of the Sith won't open till early July. In South Korea the epic earned $1,446,096 for a two week total of $5,924,790. It also finished in first place in Egypt making that market the only market where Revenge of the Sith is known to have missed first place.
- The Japanese film, Negotiator: Bayside Shakedown 3, finished third on the overall thanks to a number one finish in Japan with $3,201,295 on 286 screens for a three week total of $19,092,958. That's on par with what Ocean's Twelve made in the market.
- The Interpreter is one of the few films not being crushed by the competition. Thanks to a $846,139 debut on 198 screens in Japan the film saw a slight increase in its international box office to $3.03 million on 1900 screens in 34 markets. The film has now pulled in $60.4 million internationally and should eventually top its domestic total.
- Antarctic Journal debuted in first place in South Korea with $2,936,685 on 319 over the weekend and $3,667,429 since its midweek opening.
- The Pacifier slipped to $2.2 million on 2385 screen for an international total of $58 million so far.
- Monster-In-Law held up very well during its second weekend of release in the U.K. falling just 13% to $2.078 million for a two week total of $5.6 million there.
- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was hit especially hard this week since its target demographic matches up with Revenge of the Sith nearly perfectly. The film lost half its weekend take landing at $1.5 million on 750 screens in 5 markets for a $25.6 million international box office. More than half of that figure came from its $940,000 in the U.K., a market where its has already earned $18.2 million.
- XXX: State of the Union added $1.3 million on 2200 screens in 45 markets to its $39.8 million international total. Thatï¿½s well ahead of the film's domestic total so far, but not nearly enough to show a profit.
- Shall We Dance? is still playing in the top ten in both Japan, ($616,943 for a five week total of $18,140,778) and France, ($522,775 for a two week total of $3,301,969.) That helped push its international total to $106.1 million.
- Ladder 49 made its debut in Japan with a third place, $1,027,215 opening on 255 screens. Despite bringing in $74.5 million domestically the film has yet to cross $100 million worldwide, but this start in Japan should push it over the top.
- Closer made its final debut of its international run opening in Japan with $726,870 on 219, only strong enough for fifth place. The film has already more than doubled its domestic run with $78 million and should ad a bit more to that in Japan.
- House of Wax opened in South Korea with $654,981 during the weekend and $777,991 since its Thursday debut. So far the film has brought in $3.96 million in just three markets.
- Unleashed's run in Germany is going about as well as its domestic run. This weekend the film plummeted 64% to $592,966 for a two-week total of $2,256,713. So far the film has only managed $8.5 million internationally and will have a hard time earning back its $43 million production budget, even with strong home market numbers.
- The Upside of Anger opened in fourth place in New Zealand with $70,000 and $494,000 during its second weekend in Australia.
- Constantine managed one more weekend in the top ten in Japan adding $561,313 this week to its $24,503,156 total in the market and $152.8 million internationally.
- The Amityville Horror open in Russia making $500,000 during its first week of releases there. It's still early in the film's international release and the film has made $16.6 million, more than half of which has come from the U.K.
- Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events is getting its last licks in before fading out of the international market place. This week it finished eighth with $495,513 for a three week total of $7,109,619 in the market.
- Hostage opened in third place in Hong Kong with just $80,000. The film also managed $365,139 during its fourth weekend in France for a total of $4,141,148 in the market. The film now has $29 million internationally and should surpass its domestic total before long.
- Son of the Mask continues its run in the top ten in Japan with $433,845 on 201 screens this weekend. So far the film has earned $11,423,257 in the market and $35 million internationally.
- Miss Congeniality 2: Armed and Fabulous opened in Japan but barely made the top ten with $400,021 on 200 screens and its $2,000 per screen average was the second worst in the top ten. With $50.8 million internationally and $98.2 million worldwide it should still make it to $100 million, but unless the studio makes that announcement we won't know exactly when.
- Million Dollar Baby is still in the top ten in France adding $355,453 to its impressive total of $20,222,937.
- The Jacket opened in Russia with $72,000 since it's debut on Thursday, not a great start but on par with the rest of its run. It hold up reasonably well in the U.K. earning $220,000 this week and $750,000 in total.
- Seed of Chucky's struggles continue as it lost half its weekend box office in the U.K. falling to $100,000.
- Mysterious Skin made $70,000 on 15 screens for a 15th place finish.
- A Dirty Shame opened in Spain bringing in just $60,000 on 24 screens.
- Blade: Trinity has officially fallen off the radar, but not before tallying $76.1 million at the international box office.
Submitted by: C.S.Strowbridge
Filed under: International Box Office
, Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events
, The Pacifier
, Million Dollar Baby
, Ladder 49
, The Interpreter
, The Amityville Horror
, Shall We Dance?
, Blade: Trinity
, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
, Miss Congeniality 2: Armed and Fabulous
, Kingdom of Heaven
, House of Wax
, XXX: State of the Union
, Danny the Dog
, The Upside of Anger
, Son of the Mask
, Seed of Chucky
, The Jacket
, A Dirty Shame
, Mysterious Skin