Cowboys find Gold in Brokeback Mountain
December 13th, 2005
Brokeback Mountain was the big winner today as Golden Globe nominations were announced. With seven nods, it led all films and that is an important Oscar indicator.
Here is a complete list of the nominations:
Best Motion Picture - Drama
Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama
Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama
Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
Best Director - Motion Picture
Best Screenplay - Motion Picture
Best Original Song - Motion Picture
Best Original Score - Motion Picture
Best Foreign Language Film
- First Brokeback Mountain breaks the record for best per theatre average for a Live Action, now it tops the list of Golden Globe nominations. What a week.
- Paul Giamatti was nominated for his work in Cinderella Man, but in this case it means little when it comes to predicting the Oscar nominations.
- The Squid and the Whale earned three Golden Globe nominations to go with its six Independent Spirit Award nominations.
- Good Night and Good Luck earned four nominations compared to two for George Clooney's other film, Syriana.
- Philip Seymour Hoffman earning a nomination for Capote is absolutely no shock, but the fact that it was the film's only nomination was.
- Crash picked up another two nominations, which helps its chances with Oscar voters.
- Memoirs of a Geisha, which is obvious Oscar bait, only picked up two nominations, but it should do better with the Oscars as there are more technical awards.
- The same can be said of
- The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and King Kong, both of which picked up two nominations today.
Source: Hollywood Foreign Press