Zissou's Run Goes Swimmingly
December 21st, 2004
During its second weekend of release, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou saw its per theatre average drop just 12.6% to land at $49,394, easily the best result this weekend. Next on the list are two new award season hopefuls, Million Dollar Baby with $22,494 in 8 theatres and The Aviator with $21,451 in 40 theatres. The second returning member of the $10,000 club rounds out the list as Bad Education earned an average of $12,816 to spend its fifth week on the list.
And while it didn't quite hit the $10,000 mark, A Very Long Engagement came within $204 of doing so with $239,796 in 24 for an average of $9,992.
This past week also saw some milestones reached for several Per Theatre Charts alumnus:
By some weird convergence, we had three movies hit $15 million during the same weekend.
- House of Flying Daggers expanded its theatre count to nearly 10 times its opening, but its per theatre average fell significantly. This will probably prevent it from earning wide mainstream success, but it still was able to top $1 million at the box office this weekend.
- Vera Drake crossed $2 million during the past week.
- Kinsey has earned $5 million so far and while it has clearly peaked at the box office, it should still have the legs to make a few million more.
- The Motorcycle Diaries is started to shed its theatre count quite quickly now, but it still managed to cross $15 million during its 13th week of release.
- Spurred on by its amazing performance during award season so far, Sideways saw its weekend haul jump up by more than 20% as it climbed to $15 million at the box office. And despite losing a few theatres, (and its three week hold on 11th spot) the film is still earning $1 million weekends and should climb into the top ten for films never to make it to the top ten. (Il Postino currently sits in tenth place with $21.8 million while In the Bedroom tops the list with $35.9 million.
- Boosted by several nominations and a massive jump in its theatre count, Finding Neverland also hit $15 million and could enter the charts for top film to never play in 1000 or more theatres, that is if it doesn’t expanded again.
Submitted by: C.S.Strowbridge
Filed under: The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
, Million Dollar Baby
, The Aviator
, La mala educación
, A Very Long Engagement
, House of Flying Daggers
, Vera Drake
, The Motorcycle Diaries
, Finding Neverland