2013 Awards Season: DGA Diverge From Oscars
The Directors Guild of America handed out their nominations for Feature Films last week and Documentaries today. No, I have no idea why they split up their announcements. Usually, there's a lot of overlap between the DGAs and the Oscars, but that's not the case this year, so we again have some surprises.
The categories and nominations are...
OUSTANDING DIRECTORIAL ACHIEVEMENT IN FEATURE FILM
- Ben Affleck for Argo
- Kathryn Bigelow for Zero Dark Thirty
- Tom Hooper for Les Miserables
- Ang Lee for Life of Pi
- Steven Spielberg for Lincoln
- Malik Bendjelloul for Searching for Sugar Man
- Kirby Dick for The Invisible War
- David France for How to Survive a Plague
- Lauren Greenfield for The Queen of Versailles
- Alison Klayman for Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry
- Kathryn Bigelow might earn her second DGA award, even though she was snubbed for the Oscars, but given the historical link between the DGAs and the Oscars, Steven Spielberg is the favorite.
- The documentary category includes three films that have already earned major nominations, while the other two had some buzz going in. I think Kirby Dick will win for The Invisible War, but David France is a close second.
Date posted: 2013-01-14