International Details - Healthy Imagination
November 22nd, 2009
The top five films on the international scene were published on Wednesday and can be found here.
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus climbed into sixth place with $3.20 million on 764 screens in 6 markets for a total of $21.40 million after a month of release. The film opened in fifth place in France with $2.14 million on 234 screens, but that was for the full week. It cracked $10 million in Italy during its run with a total of $10.36 million, including $861,000 on 247 screens this past weekend.
- Trésor opened in second place in France with $2.75 million on 437 screens, while adding in its seventh place debut in Belgium gives the film $2.88 million on 451 screens in total.
- Pope Joan climbed a spot to eighth with $2.84 million on 647 screens in 4 markets for a total of $21.21 million. In Germany it added $2.51 million on 535 screens over the weekend for a total of $18.87 million after four.
- The Men Who Stare At Goats went in the other direction, landing in ninth with $2.78 million on 625 screens in 3 markets for a total of $8.69 million. In the U.K., it added $1.33 million on 331 screens over the weekend for a total of $4.60 million after two, while in Italy it made $1.20 million on 274 screens over the weekend for a total of $3.60 million, also after two.
- G-Force is coasting on holdovers at the moment, but it did manage to add $2.64 million on 1,620 screens in 21 markets for a total of $157.00 million after four months of release.
It will be about four months until the film's next major market opening, Japan, and when it gets there is should be able to lift its worldwide box office from its current $276.12 million to $300 million or more.
- Saw VI had one of the worst week-to-week declines on the international chart, down more than 50% while falling from fifth to eleventh. It did still add $2.60 million on 1,260 screens in 26 markets for a total of $25.20 internationally, which is more than it cost to make.
- Le Concert remained in third place in France but rose to 12th internationally with $2.59 million on 354 screens in 2 markets for a total of $6.10 million. This includes $2.49 million on 343 screens in its native market, giving it $5.99 million after two.
- Fortune Salon debuted in second place in South Korea and 13th place internationally with $2.53 million on 400 screens over the weekend and $3.59 million in total.
- Le Petit Nicolas remained solid, down just one spot to 14th with $2.47 million on 662 screens in 3 markets for a total of $48.09 million.
Almost all of this was earned in France where it made $2.27 million on 618 screens over the weekend for a total of $45.03 million after seven.
- Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani had the worst week-to-week collapse in the top 30 this past weekend, down more than 10 spots and 60%.
On the other hand, earning $2.44 million on 824 screens in 16 markets for a two-week total of $11.73 million is not bad for an Indian film.
- No More Cry opened in third place in Japan and 16th place internationally with $2.30 million on 303 screens.
- Harry Brown debuted in third place in the U.K. and 17th place internationally with $2.11 million on 351 screens.
- Broken Embraces returned to the international chart in 18th place with $1.95 million on 504 screens in 12 markets for a total of $29.38 million. This includes a third place, $1.60 million opening on 351 screens in Italy.
- Surrogates continues to slide down the chart, earning $1.87 million on 872 screens in 27 markets for a total of $68.14 million.
- Public Enemies added $1.85 million on 379 screens in 3 markets for a total of $107 million internationally and $204.08 million worldwide.
- Tum Mile opened in 21st place with $1.81 million on 823 screens in 15 markets, which is not particularly good, even for an Indian film.
- Cell 211 remained strong rising to 22nd place internationally with $1.78 million on 220 screens over the weekend for a total of $4.30 million after two. All of this came from the film's third place finish in Spain.
- Zero Focus opened in fourth place in Japan and 23rd place internationally with $1.76 million on 322 screens.
- The Time Traveler's Wife fell to 24th place with just $1.69 million on 734 screens in 16 markets for a total of $35.25 million internationally and $98.58 million worldwide. It will likely get to $100 million worldwide by this time next week, but it will also likely have fallen out of the top 30 before then.
- The Box plummeted this past weekend, down more than 10 spots and 50% landing in 25th place with $1.67 million on 675 screens in 10 markets for a total of $6.54 million. The good news is that it didn't cost that much to make, while it has plenty of markets left to open in, so if it does reasonably well on the home market, it should still break even.
- I Give My First Love to You fell from second to fifth place in Japan, but slipped only one spot internationally to land in 26th place with $1.64 million on 302 screens for a total of $17.92 million after four weeks of release.
- Micmacs nearly fell out of the top 30 with $1.56 million on 651 screens in 3 markets for a total of $10.50 million. Of its weekend haul, $1.46 million was earned on 603 screens in France, giving it a total of $9.81 million in its native market after three weeks of release.
- The Unbroken returned to the top 30 in 28th place with $1.53 million on 403 screens, all of which was earned in its sixth place finish in Japan, which was enough for $20.40 million in total in its native market.
- Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs barely managed to snag a spot in the top 30 with $1.43 million on 1,488 screens in 35 markets for a total of $59.93 million internationally and $182.02 million worldwide.
The film opens in Australia this coming weekend, while it has debuts in Spain, Italy, Germany, and other markets left ahead.
It has a chance at $100 million internationally, but it could be close.
- In The Beginning opened at the end of our list with $1.39 million on 293 screens in 2 markets, almost all of which was earned in the film's eighth place debut in France.
Filed under: International Box Office
, Public Enemies
, The Time Traveler's Wife
, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
, Los abrazos rotos
, Saw VI
, The Men Who Stare at Goats
, The Box
, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus