International Details - Cliff Strong Overseas
August 24th, 2008
Ponyo on the Cliff is locked in first place in Japan growing by 13% to $7.75 million on 481 screens over the weekend for a total of $90.47 million at the end of last weekend, and it is likely that it has hit $100 million in the meantime.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars opened in seventh place with $7.05 million on 3058 screens in 22 markets for a total of $7.17 million so far. The largest box office came from U.K. where it made $1.67 million on 419 screens, however, the film placed second with $1.19 million on 678 screens. It also performed okay in Mexico with $1.15 million on 267 screens places fourth in the process.
- Kung Fu Panda added $6.20 million on 3695 screens in 37 markets for a total of $364.35 million internationally. The film still has to opened in Italy and could return to the top five when it does.
- Singh Is Kinng fell 55% this past weekend, but that's not bad for niche market film. It added $5.80 million on 1019 screens in 21 markets for a total of $21.67 million
- The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian returned to the top ten with $5.16 million on 2438 screens in 29 markets for a total of $262.15 million. The film opened in Italy with $2.67 million on 537 screens for a total of $3.49 million. Meanwhile in Germany the film added $1.20 million on 758 screens for a total of $9.66 million.
- Wanted opened in first place in Mexico with $2.21 million on 576 screens, which helped push it its eleventh place with $4.24 million on 1251 screens for a total of $126.19 million.
- Journey To The Centre of the Earth added $3.78 million on 553 screens for a total of $44.34 million.
- Bachna Ae Haseeno opened with $3.66 million on 709 screens, which is roughly average for an Indian film.
- Hancock slipped to 14th place with $3.58 million on 2483 screens in 59 screens for a total of $339.33 million.
- The X-Files: I Want to Believe fell to 15th with $3.31 million on $3.31 million on 2294 screens in 52 markets for a total of $36.54 million. This includes South Korea where it opened in ninth place with $533,000 on 264 screens over the weekend for a total of $835,000 in total.
- Taken earned $3.31 million on 791 screens in 3 markets for a total of $35.11 million internationally. It opened in second place in Australia with $1.45 million on 227 screens over the weekend for a total of $1.50 million, while it placed third in Italy with $525,000 on 194 screens over the weekend for a total of $616,000. Over in Spain the film was down 19% to $954,000 on 320 screens for a total of $2.92 million after two weeks.
- Meet Dave grew by more than 50% to $2.80 million on 1036 screens in 25 markets in $22.73 million after just over a month of release. This includes an opening in France, but it only managed sixth place with $234,000 on 320 screens.
- God Tussi Great Ho had mixed results in India and other markets earning $2.75 million on 634 screens.
- Tropic Thunder opened in 19th place $2.65 million on 457 screens in 3 markets, of that $2.2 million was earned on 418 screens in Russia.
- Wild Child opened in its home market United Kingdom earning $2.20 million on 359 screens. It also opened in a number of smaller markets earning a total of $2.57 million on 405 screens during its opening weekend.
- Death Bell remained in third place in South Korea and it fell to 21st place internationally earning $1.92 million on 262 screens over the weekend for a total of $7.10 million after two week.
- Mark Of An Angel earned $865,000 on 62 screens over the weekend in Belgium for a total of $1.19 million. It also opened in neighboring France with $345,000 on 286 screens.
- Get Smart fell out of the top 20 landing in 23rd place with $1.78 million on 982 screens in 34 markets for a total of $75.18 million internationally and $203.15 million worldwide.
- What Happens In Vegas... returned to the chart in 24th place with $1.72 million on 247 screens, of which $1.66 million was earned in 191 screens in Japan. Overall the film has made $133.69 million.
- The Bank Job added $1.69 million on 530 screens for a total of $23.48 million.
- Pokemon 2008 slipped a spot to fourth in Japan with $1.61 million on 359 screens for a total of $36.27 million after a month of release.
- Dachimawa Lee opened in fourth place in South Korea with $1.49 million on 332 screens for a total of $1.93 million.
- The Good, the Bad and the Weird fell to sixth place South Korea and 28th place with $1.31 million on 354 screens for a total of $38.92 million after a month of release.
- Boys Over Flowers slipped a spot to sixth in Japanese and 29th overall with $1.25 million on 316 screens for a total of $63.59 million.
- Speed Racer returned to the chart, barely, with $1.03 million on 575 screens, of which all but a rounding error came from China. Overall the film has made $48.44 million, which is more than it made domestically, but not enough to make it a success.
Filed under: International Box Office
, Kung Fu Panda
, The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian
, Get Smart
, Tropic Thunder
, Journey to the Center of the Earth
, What Happens in Vegas...
, Speed Racer
, Star Wars: The Clone Wars
, The Bank Job
, The X-Files: I Want to Believe
, Gake no ue no Ponyo
, Meet Dave
, Singh is Kinng
, Bachna Ae Haseeno
, God Tussi Great Ho
, L'empreinte de l'ange
, Dachimawa Lee
, Death Bell
, Joheunnom nabbeunnom isanghannom
, Pokemon 2008
, Hana yori dango: Fainaru
, Wild Child