Per Theater Chart: Lovely and Strange
The only new limited release in the $10,000 club on the per theater chart was Love is Strange, which earned an average of $23,455 in five theaters. There were two holdovers in the $10,000 club with The Trip to Italy earning an average of $10,645 in ten theaters while The Admiral: Roaring Currents was right behind with an average of $10,213 in 47 screens.
None of the rest of the new limited releases really came close to the $10,000 mark. Expedition to the End of the World did well with an opening weekend of $6,635 in one theater for a total opening of $9,434 since Wednesday. The One I Love was right behind with an average of $6,007 in eight theaters. This isn't a bad start, but it isn't a great one either. Kabbalah Me was well back with an opening of $2,196 in its lone theater.
This past week also saw milestones reached for several Per Theater Chart alumni:
- Singham Returns hit $1 million, but that's as far as it will go.
- Calvary topped $1 million over the weekend, but its per theater average is low enough that it likely won't expand significantly beyond this point.
- The Admiral: Roaring Currents also reached $1 million just before the weekend. However, since its per theater average is still above $10,000, it will have no problem expanding more.
- What If did not collapse like I thought it would and that helped it reach $2 million over the weekend. If it can avoid a serious decline in its theater count this weekend, it could get to $3 million before it is done.
- As expected, Magic in the Moonlight got all the way to $5 million. Normally, this is would be great, because few limited releases get this far. That said, Woody Allen isn't your average filmmaker.
- Boyhood topped $15 million before the weekend and given its legs, it should have little difficulty get to $20 million.
Date posted: 2014-08-27