The Gatekeepers led the way on the per theater chart with an average of $22,226 in three theaters. The only other member of the $10,000 club was Koch with an average of $17,598 in two. Both films should continue to do well on the art house circuit, but as documentaries, I doubt they will expand significantly.
The best of the rest of the new limited releases was Mumia: Long Distance Revolutionary, which opened with $9,283 in one theater. The 2013 Oscar Shorts managed an average of $3,506 in just over 100 theaters. That's about on par with last year's opening. Girls Against Boys opened with an average of $3,056 in two theaters. This is better than I was expecting given its genre and reviews. Stand-Up Guys opened in way too many theaters, but it did avoid missing the Mendoza Line, barely. It opened with just under $1.5 million in close to 700 theaters for an average of $2,256.
This past week also saw milestones reached for a few Per Theater Chart alumni:
- Diana Vreeland: The Eye Has to Travel just crossed $1 million during the weekend. It came out on DVD this week, so that's the last milestone for the film.
- A Royal Affair also got to $1 million over the weekend. It too will get no further.
- Race 2 hit $1 million since this time last week. If it were the average limited release, I would assume it would get to $2 million, but like most Bollywood films, it is fading fast.
- Stand-Up Guys opened with more than $1 million, so clearly its running tally surpassed $1 million.
- Amour reached $2 million very early in the weekend and it is still growing at the box office, so more milestones are practically guaranteed.
- Quartet topped $2 million before the weekend and $3 million over the weekend. At this point, $5 million is virtually assured, while I can't rule out $10 million.
- The Impossible has made it all the way to $15 million and it might not be the end for the film.
- Silver Linings Playbook did better than expected over the weekend and that helped it top $80 million. This is more than Dark Shadows made and it is about to surpass Wrath of the Titans.
Date posted: 2013-02-05