2014 Awards Season: SAG is a Buyer's Market
January 19th, 2014
SAG handed out their awards last night, and while there were not many surprises, there was one major upset, at least in my mind. Dallas Buyers Club led the way with two wins, making it the new Oscar favorite.
The categories and nominations are...
Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture
- American Hustle won for best ensemble cast, which is not a surprise. That said, had 12 Years a Slave won, it also would not have been a surprise.
- Cate Blanchett looks to be a lock for the Oscar. She's winning everything.
- Matthew McConaughey beat out Chiwetel Ejiofor for Best Lead Actor. I consider this an upset, but not everyone agrees.
- Jared Leto has also become a runaway favorite for the Oscar, especially after last night's win.
- I thought Jennifer Lawrence would win, but it is hard to call Lupita Nyong'o's victory an upset. It makes for an interesting race come Oscar night.
- Lone Survivor for for Best Stunts. I don't think many people will disagree with this win.
- On a side note, Modern Family won its fourth SAG Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series, breaking Seinfeld's record. That's four wins in a row during its five-year run so far.
Filed under: Awards Season, American Hustle, Blue Jasmine, Dallas Buyers Club, 12 Years a Slave, Lone Survivor