Sideways is Golden
December 14th, 2004
Golden Globe Nominations were announced on Monday and as with the IFP Independent Spirit Awards, Sideways lead the pack with 7 nominations. This does not mean it is the favorite in any particular category, but it does help its chances of taking home some hardware on January 16th.
The list on nominees for theatrical releases are:
Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama
Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama
Motion Picture - Comedy or Musical
Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Comedy or Musical
Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Comedy or Musical
Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
Best Director - Motion Picture
Best Screenplay - Motion Picture
Best Foreign Language Film
Best Original Score - Motion Picture
Best Original Song - Motion Picture
Some initial reactions to the nominations:
Motion Picture - Drama
- While I was hopeful for Sideways' chances, seven nominations was a surprise.
- Jamie Foxx earned a rare triple nomination for his lead role work in Ray, his 'supporting' role in Collateral and his work on the TV movie Redemption. However, vote splitting will could cost him a chance at any award.
- This first major shocker of the presentation was when Uma Thurman was nominated for her work in Kill Bill - Vol. 2, which was then overtaken as biggest shocker when David Carradine was nominated for the same movie.
- For the second year in a row a Clint Eastwood film has earned multiple nominations, this year its for Million Dollar Baby with 5 nominations.
- Closer, which really didn't earn strong reviews nevertheless managed 5 nominations as well.
- With six nominations, The Aviator was the second highest honored film of the year, which should really help its box office prospects.
- And while it is not a movie, it is worth noting that the TV series Desperate Housewives managed 5 nominations, including 3 of the 5 handed out for Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Musical or Comedy. Although the resulting vote splitting will probably lead to Debra Messing taking home her first Golden Globe.
Submitted by: C.S.Strowbridge
Source: Hollywood Foreign Press Association
Filed under: Shrek 2
, The Incredibles
, The Polar Express
, The Aviator
, Million Dollar Baby
, Kill Bill: Volume 2
, The Manchurian Candidate
, Finding Neverland
, The Phantom of the Opera
, Bridget Jones: The Edge Of Reason
, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
, Hotel Rwanda
, The Motorcycle Diaries
, House of Flying Daggers
, Being Julia
, A Very Long Engagement
, Beyond the Sea
, Vera Drake
, Les Choristes
, Mar adentro
, A Love Song for Bobby Long