International Details - Black Mark at the Box Office
July 1st, 2007
There was a troubling lack of final results this week and this results in a few studio estimates with some of the numbers. However, it appears that Black House was able to place fourth on the international charts after winning the box office race in South Korea The film was able to top its native market with $2.71 million on 325 screens over the weekend and $3.35 million in total.
As for box office running tally updates, there were a few...
- Blades of Glory returned to the charts thanks to openings in Australia and New Zealand. It wasn't able to win in either market earning fourth in Australia with $1.71 million on 188 screens over the weekend and $1.92 million in total. Meanwhile it scored third place in New Zealand with $265,000 on 46. Add in holdovers and the film added $2.24 million on 571 screens in 26 markets for a $19.85 million total.
- Zodiac added $1.87 million on 1400 screens in 44 markets for a disappointing total of $40.8 million so far.
- Evan Almighty started its international run during this past weekend placing 8th with $1.85 million on 393 screens in 2 markets. Those two markets were Russia, ($1.62 million), and the Ukraine, ($226,000). Surprisingly, those were better openings that the original earned, but I don't expect that result to be repeated everywhere.
- Maiko Haaaan!!! dipped a mere 3% during its second weekend in Japan added $1.89 million on 287 screens to its running tally of $5.96 million.
- Spider-Man 3 barely grabbed a spot in the top ten with $1.67 million on 2,850 screens in 61 markets for a total of $546.54 million internationally. It wasn't able to reach the top 10 on that chart and in now a rounding error behind Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings. Worldwide the film has $879.89 million, which puts it in 11th place, just behind Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End.
- The second half of Grindhouse opened internationally this week and the combined take of Death Proof and Planet Terror was $1.67 million for the weekend and $10.56 million in total. Planet Terror opened in fourth place in Russia with $444,000, which was virtually identical to Death Proof's opening three weeks ago. That film as now earned $1.38 million in the market, roughly in line with its box office here.
- Hostel: Part II fell out of the top ten with $1.60 million on 990 screens in 13 markets for a total of $5.00 million so far. This includes a third place, $419,000 opening in 240 screens in Italy.
- Captivity continued its rollout in international markets ahead of its domestic debut. This week in placed 13th with $1.57 million in 2 markets for a total of $2.35 million, including a fourth place opening in the U.K. with $659,000 on 287 screens.
- Jhoom Barabar Jhoom fell more than 50% to $1.33 million in 17 markets for a total of $6.5 million after two weeks.
- Conversations with My Gardener slipped a spot to fourth in France with $1.13 million on 530 screens over the weekend and $5.80 million in total.
- Hot Fuzz returned to the charts in 16th place with $1.08 million on 380 screens in 13 markets for a total of $52.39 million. The film's biggest opening was South Korea where it placed 8th with $301,000 on 105 screens over the weekend and $382,000 in total; this may not seem like a lot, but its respectable for a foreign release, especially a smaller foreign release. It's biggest market overall was Germany where it added $465,000 on 297 screens to its total of $1.45 million.
- Fracture barely stayed about $1 million dollars adding $1.04 million for a total of $32.47 million internationally and just over $70 million worldwide.
Filed under: International Box Office
, Spider-Man 3
, Wild Hogs
, Blades of Glory
, Evan Almighty
, Surf's Up
, Hot Fuzz
, Hostel: Part II
, Jhoom Barabar Jhoom
, Black House
, Maiko haaaan!!!