Per Theater Chart: Fade Sharpens into Focus
April 23rd, 2014
Fading Gigolo debuted on top of the per theater chart with an average of $36,160 in five theaters. This is the second best per theater average for a 2014 release behind The Grand Budapest Hotel. Granted, it was well behind that film, but still in second place. Also, given the film's reviews, it won't last very long at the box office. The only other film to reach the $10,000 club was Godzilla: The Original Japanese Version, which celebrated its 60th anniversary with $10,903 in one theater.
There were several other new limited releases, but most missed the Mendoza Line. 2 States was the biggest pleasant surprise earning just over $1 million in 135 theaters for an average of $7,897. That Demon Within was the only other limited release to not bomb earning an average of $4,537 in 17 theaters. Half the Road bombed with an average of $807 in two theaters. Make Your Move and Kid Cannabis had near identical openings with averages of $572 and $556 respectively. The Final Member flopped with an average of $295 in seven theaters. Finally there's 13 Sins, which only managed an average of $203 in 45 theaters.
This past week also saw milestones reached for a few Per Theater Chart alumni:
- 2 States opened with more than $1 million. Bollywood films rarely have good legs, but it should at least get to $2 million.
- Under the Skin reached $1 million over the weekend. Its per theater average suggests it won't expand significantly beyond where it is now, but it should have no trouble getting to $2 million before long.
- Raid 2 topped $2 million over the weekend, but its theater count took a serious hit and it might not get to $3 million.
- The Lunchbox also got to $2 million over the weekend, but unlike the previous film, it has a real shot at $3 million before too long.
- The Grand Budapest Hotel has made it all the way to $40 million, getting there since this time last week. It has passed Need for Speed and is closing in on Muppets Most Wanted.
Filed under: Weekend Box Office, Theater Averages, Fading Gigolo, Gojira, Make Your Move, Kid Cannabis, The Final Member, 13 Sins, Under the Skin, Serbuan maut 2: Berandal, The Lunchbox, The Grand Budapest Hotel