Per Theater Chart: The Full Picture
There were only two films in the $10,000 club this weekend. X-Men: Days of Future Past led the way with an average of $22,729 in nearly 4,000 theaters. The only other film was The Dance of Reality with an average of $12,384 in two theaters. However, if one were to include holiday Monday, Words and Pictures would also reach the $10,000 club with an average of $11,544 in ten theaters.
The rest of the new limited releases were spread out in terms of opening per theater chart. Stand Clear of Closing Doors earned $7,000 in its lone theater over the weekend. Likewise, Accident was also playing in only one theater earning $5,798. Some reports had Kochadaiiyaan opening last month, but it indeed opened this past weekend earning nearly $600,000 in 161 theaters for an average of $3,622. That isn't great, but the film has earned nearly $20 million in its native India, which is what it reportedly cost to make. As expected, Heropanti struggled with an average of $2,052 in 16 theaters. On the other hand, the film has made Rs 36.50 crores ($6.19 million) in five days in India on a Rs 25 crores ($4.24 million) budget, so it will break even in its native market. Grand Depart won't be as lucky here, as it missed the Mendoza Line by a wide margin with an opening of $339 in just one theater.
This past week also saw milestones reached for several Per Theater Chart alumni:
- Locke topped $1 million over the weekend, but that's likely as far as it will go. It has a shot at $2 million, but it is a long-shot.
- Chef got to $1 million before the weekend, while over the weekend it hit the $2 million and $3 million milestones.
- Island of Lemurs: Madagascar reached $2 million early in the weekend and its per theater average suggests it will continue to do well in IMAX theaters for a while.
- As Expected, The Railway Man hit $3 million over the weekend and at this pace, it will get to $4 million this weekend.
- Belle reached $2 million before the weekend and went on to reach $3 million over the weekend. It already has $4 million and will likely hit $5 million before the weekend. At this pace, it should have little trouble getting to $10 million.
Date posted: 2014-05-28