International Details - Bee Strong Overseas
January 13th, 2008
Bee Movie slipped to sixth place this weekend with $14.34 million on 4820 screens in 49 markets for a total of $131.97 million. This includes a first place opening in South Korea where it earned $1.96 million on 334 screens over the weekend and $2.30 million in total, but this is not a particularly strong start.
- Alien vs. Predator: Requiem added $12.54 million on 3263 screens in 33 markets for a total of $35.44 million. The film debuted in first place in Mexico with $1.66 million on 503 screens but could do no better than fourth during its debut in France with $2.93 million on 426. Meanwhile in Germany, the film fell more than 70% during its second weekend down to fifth place with $1.33 million on 561 screens for a total of $6.53 million.
- Ironiya sudby. Prodolzhenie, a.k.a., the Irony of Fate climbed two spots to eighth with $9.15 million on 913 screens in 5 markets for a total of $35.10 million. Most of this has come from Russia, but weekend numbers for that market are unknown at the moment.
- Keinohrhasen, which actually means No Ear Hare (I was bound to get one right sooner or later) remained the top draw in Germany adding $5.86 million on 495 screens over the weekend for a total of $21.52 million. Adding in a couple of smaller markets the film made $6.45 million on 565 screens in 3 markets for a total of $23.74 million.
- During just its second weekend on the charts, P.S. I Love You climbed into 10th place with $5.99 million on 982 screens in 8 markets for an early total of $11.85 million. Its big gains this week were mostly thanks to the film's debut in the U.K., where it opened in second place with $3.54 million on 365 screens over the weekend and $5.48 million in total. On the other hand, the film only managed fourth place in Brazil with $757,000 on 157 screens over the weekend and $1.17 million in total and fifth place in South Korea with $866,000 on 249 screens over the weekend and $1.54 million in total.
- No major openings didn't hurt American Gangster too much as it was down a soft 24% to $5.52 million on 1607 screens in 31 markets for a total of $72.48 million. The film has yet to debut in Australia, Italy, Mexico, and Japan, among other markets, and it is headed for $100 million internationally
- The Chinese film, The Assembly, rose a spot to 12th as it added $3.83 million on 561 screens in 2 markets to its total of $27.46 million.
- The Fox and the Child placed 13th internationally with $3.82 million on 1094 screens in 6 markets for a total of $17.40 million. Of that total, $16.22 million has come from France, including $3.41 million on 700 screens this past weekend.
- Halloween returned to the charts in 14th place with $3.05 million on 484 screens in 2 markets for a total of $16.89 million. The film debuted in two major markets earning fourth place in both Italy with $1.85 million on 236 screens and in Spain with $1.00 million on 250.
- St. Trinian's moved up two spots to 15th with $2.94 million on 386 screens in its native United Kingdom giving it a total of $15.19 million after three weeks.
- Una Moglie Bellissima rose to first place in Italy while it dipped to 16th place overall with $2.85 million on 498 screens in 2 markets for total of $29.59 million.
- Hitman added $2.66 million on 1096 screens in 7 markets for a total of $52.19 million, which is already more than it earned domestically and it looks to be headed for $100 million worldwide.
- Natale In Crociera fell more than 50% to $2.46 million on 449 screens in 2 markets for a total of $36.77 million. Of that, $33.32 million has come from Italy, including $2.15 million on 434 screens this past weekend.
- Welcome also fell more than 50% takingin $2.25 million on 698 screens in 13 markets for a total of $19.55 million. The Indian film is already a success in its native market (the second biggest hit of the year, in fact), and is doing well in the usual markets. For instance, it has made $1.67 million in three weeks in the U.K., including 99,000 on 45 screens this past weekend.
- The Warlords fell 57% to $2.06 million on 589 screens in 5 markets for a total of $35.28 million after a month of release.
- Arn: The Knight Templar just missed the top 20 with $2.02 million on 271 screens in 2 markets for a total of $10.64 million after two weeks.
- A Tale of Mari and Three Puppies returned to the charts in 22nd place with $1.95 million on 333 screens in Japan giving it a total of $20.84 million after a month of release.
- Eastern Promises climbed one spot to 23rd with $1.86 million on 458 screens in 14 markets for a total of $30.71 million. Germany remains the film's biggest single market this week as it took in $750,000 over the weekend on 128 screens for a total of $2.11 million.
- Atonement earned $1.77 million on 300 screens in 14 markets for a very respectable total of $38.48 million so far. Most of the weekend's number came from Australia where it was down just 27% to $1.24 million on 154 screens for a two-week total of $4.85 million.
- The Darjeeling Limited returned to the charts in 25th place with $1.75 million on 352 screens in 11 markets for a total of $6.45 million. The film opened in eighth place in Spain with $455,000 on 150 screens while it missed the top ten in Germany with $604,000 on just 78 screens. Its prospects of expanding are quite strong in the latter market.
- Elizabeth: The Golden Age added $1.70 million on 770 screens in 29 markets for a total of $44.66 million.
- Love In The Time Of Cholera nearly fell back out of the chart falling 43% to $1.67 million on 796 screens in 5 markets for a total of $11.00 million.
- Lions for Lambs remained very strong in Italy as it was down just 6% to $1.33 million on 189 screens in that market for a total of $6.10 million after three weeks. Overall it added $1.51 million on 248 screens in 5 markets for a total of $39.20 million, which is still a disappointing total.
- Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium plummeted 10 spots to 29th with $1.33 million on 1418 screens in 14 markets for a total of $23.60 million.
- Taare Zameen Par landed in 30th place with $1.31 million on 323 screens in 11 markets for total of $10.39 million which is enough to consider the Indian film a success.
Filed under: International Box Office
, Bee Movie
, P.S. I Love You
, Aliens vs. Predator - Requiem
, Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium
, Eastern Promises
, Elizabeth: The Golden Age
, Lions for Lambs
, The Darjeeling Limited
, Love in the Time of Cholera
, American Gangster