Wednesday, July 23, 2014
Awards Season: Silver Linings for Limited Releases
The Independent Spirit Awards has a special place in the Awards Season. The nominations are the unoffficial start of Awards Season, but the actual awards aren't given out until Oscar weekend, so they are the beginning at the end of Awards Season. They also help out a lot of limited releases that would otherwise not get enough buzz, although they are not so good at predicting Oscar wins. This year, two films tied for most nominations, Moonrise Kingdom and The Silver Linings Playbook, both of which earned five nominations. They weren't the only films to earn multiple nominations though.
The categories and nominations are...
BEST FIRST FEATURE
BEST FIRST SCREENPLAY
JOHN CASSAVETES AWARD
(Given to the best feature made for under $500,000)
BEST FEMALE LEAD
BEST MALE LEAD
BEST SUPPORTING MALE
BEST SUPPORTING FEMALE
BEST INTERNATIONAL FILM
ROBERT ALTMAN AWARD (Given to one film's director, casting director and ensemble cast)
Also announced were the nominees for the three Filmmaker Grant Awards.
Piaget Producers Award
Acura Someone to Watch Award
Stella Artois Truer Than Fiction Award is presented to an emerging director of non-fiction features who has not yet received significant attention.
- David Fenster for Pincus
- Adam Leon for Gimme the Loot
- Rebecca Thomas for Electrick Children
Notes and Reactions...
- This is the second year in a row we've had two films lead the way with five nominations each. I think The Silver Linings Playbook came out a little ahead, as it earned slightly more prestigious awards than Moonrise Kingdom did, although they are up against each other in three categories.
- Beasts of the Southern Wild, Keep the Lights On, and Middle of Nowhere were right behind with four nominations.
- Matthew McConaughey picked up two nominations, one for Best Lead Actor and one for Best Supporting Actor.
- Meanwhile, Brit Marling earned nominations for Best Supporting Actress and as producer for Sound of My Voice. This is the second year in a row that the actress has earned two Independent Spirit Awards. If she has similar success with The East next year, then every film she touches will have some Awards Season buzz simply by the pedigree.
- This is the third year in a row that John Hawkes has earned an Independent Spirit Award nomination.
- There were several films that didn't quite do as well as I had hoped at the box office, but earned nominations. Seven Psychopaths, Ruby Sparks, Safety Not Guarenteed, The Sessions, and others. Some are still in theaters while others are already out on DVD / Blu-ray, but hopefully all of them will get a bit of a boost.
Date posted: 2012-11-28